Ever since the Lego Movie’s Taco Tuesday, the boys have started to request that they too, have a Taco Tuesday. I have come to love Taco Tuesday simply because it is super easy to load everything into a crockpot and let it do all the work. Especially during the work week. This is my version of Taco Tuesday: simplified
We start with about three lbs of skinless boneless chicken breast and some spices.
Then we add the salsa and the juice of one lime or 2 tsp. of distiller vinegar.
Let it sit overnight in the fridge.
Set up your crock pot that beautiful Tuesday morning (or any morning, really) on low for about 6-8 hours.
Come home to dinner done.
EXTRAS: You can certainly add more fresh ingredients to this, if you desire. The addition of fresh peppers and onions would be great. You can even buy some of the fajita mix in the freezer section and dump that in to save time
Of course this would go great with your favorite style of tortillas (flour or corn) but we like to use these lavash wraps. High in fiber, low in carbs and very filling. Sami’s bakery is in Tampa but can be ordered online. And although they do not contain wheat, they are manufactured in a facility that produces wheat items and cross contamination is possible.
For my little cave boy and sir picky pants, I made little nachos, which they devoured in minutes.
Additions: I added some refried beans to the shredded chicken, which worked as a thickener to the juices of the shredded chicken. This made for a creamy shredded chicken and some hidden fiber.
You can add all the extras you want on the side:
- Red onions
- Diced tomatoes
- Finely shredded cabbage
- Lime wedges
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
Taco Tuesday: Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tsp of each– chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 tsp of each– Mexican oregano, cumin
- cayenne pepper to your taste, optional
- The juice of one lime or two tsp of distiller white vinega, optional
- 1 salsa jar, 15.5 oz.
- 1/2 c. Chicken stock, unsalted
1. Add all ingredients into a crockpot dish and let it sit overnight in refrigerator.
2. Put dish back into the crockpot container and set to low. Let it cook for 6-8 hours or until chicken shreds easily.