Here is a refreshing summer drink that will get any BBQ or summer shin dig started. It is simply made up of watermelon, lime juice, honey (optional), mint (optional), and a pinch of salt. That’s it.
For the adults, pass the juice through a sieve, to have more of an actual juice. This can be used to make “adult” drinks. And if you don’t want to do the extra work by passing it through a sieve, you don’t have to.
For the kids, add a cup of crushed ice and blend for a watermelon slushee.
I would also like to add that this makes for a great drink when the little ones are sick. Mixing watermelon, or any fruit of your choice with pure coconut water (filled with electrolytes), and some raw honey can keep them well hydrated without added refined sugars.
This drink is super easy to put together and can easily go wherever you do.
I hope you give this a try at your next summer party.
Watermelon Agua Fresca Recipe
Yields about 4 cups
6 C. Seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
The juice of 2 limes (1/4 c., roughly)
1 Tbsp. Honey (optional)
Watermelon juice (leftover from scooping)
Pinch of salt
Mint leaves (optional)
Lime wedges for garnish (optional)
1. Add watermelon chunks to blender and purée.
2. In a small bowl, combine any leftover watermelon juice from scooping and add honey. Mix until honey dissolves.
3. Add sweetened juice mixture to the blender. Blend for a few seconds.
You may serve with mint, gently crushed at the bottom of your serving glasses. You may also use this juice to make mixed drinks.
Tips from the little red bird:
1. If you decide to put the juice through a sieve, save the pulp. It makes for a great Popsicle or granita.
2. If you don’t have pestle to use on the mint, use the end of a spatula and press down firmly. This is simply to release the natural oils of the mint. Once fragrant, it’s ready.
3. Limes can be hard sometimes to get all the juice out. I like to use a spoon to squeeze out all I can from the limes.