Double. Chocolate. Chip. Cookies. These cookies are soft, brownie-like, with a rich chocolate taste. These bad boys are gluten, grain, nut and dairy free. But most of all, they are absolutely delicious!
Because these cookies are quite soft, they will stick to each other. When storing, layer them with parchment paper and keep them in the refrigerator or freezer.
I used them, well, as an ice cream sandwich. Fill with your favorite dairy-free or regular ice cream of choice. It will resemble the traditional ice cream sandwich novelty. But these cookies are way better.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 13 cookies
adapted from Ditch the Wheat
1/3 cup organic shortening (I used Spectrum)
2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp coconut flour, sifted
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
½ cup dark chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
1. Preheat the oven to 330 degrees F.
2. Mix the shortening, vanilla and coconut palm sugar in a mixing bowl or in a mixer. *You can cream it together and it will result in a lighter more cake like texture.
3. Add eggs, one at a time to the mixture.
4. Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add it to the mixer until well incorporated.
5. Lastly, stir in chocolate chips.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop the cookies by spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet with at least 2 inches apart. *These cookies spread out very thin and almost double in size. I usually put 9 cookies on a tray in rows of 3.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, turning the tray half way at the 10 minute mark.
8. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack to cool. If you pick them up too soon, they will crumble.