Doesn’t that look amazing?! It is. This salad has been known to change the minds of those that once called this green floret a funky foe to a broccoli lovin’ fool. But who could resist this salad filled with BACON, pecans, golden raisins, red onions and an amazingly simple dressing that brings it all together.
This recipe comes from one of my closest friends, Sara. Sara makes this for the school staff parties and it is usually the first thing to go. It IS that good. Sara is not only a great cook and teacher, but she is also a lover of everything Ohio. From the Buckeyes, to Wendy’s, to Drew Carey. She knows everything about Ohio. And I mean everything!
This week I was transplanted into her room until the end of the school year as my portable will be demolished within the next few weeks. Sara freely shares her space, her classroom materials, her friendship and this amazingly awesome recipe. I hope you all enjoy this as much as the entire school does.
THANK YOU, SARA!
The BEST Broccoli Salad
6 C. Broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
10 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
1/2 C. minced red onion
1/2 C. Golden raisins
1/3 C. Pecans, chopped
1 C. Mayonnaise (dressing)
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. pure maple syrup
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a. Large bowl combine the broccoli, bacon, red onion, raisins, and pecans.
2. In another bowl combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, maple syrup and salt and pepper. Taste to make sure it is properly seasoned to your liking.
3. Combine the dressing to the broccoli salad. Mix until well combined. Serve as a side or just dig in.
TIPS FROM THE LITTLE RED BIRD
* The original recipe called for raisins and a sugar substitute. You can add regular raisins, or cranberries. Sara uses the dried, sweetened cranberries for the holidays. As for a sugar substitute, you can use table sugar or whichever sugar meets your dietary needs. You cannot taste the maple syrup. It is only for sweetness.
* You can also sub white onions for red or for sweet onions. Another great option are shallots!
4 thoughts on “The BEST Broccoli Salad”
This does look beautiful. I love broccoli and bacon and with this dressing I can just taste how amazing it must be. Thank you!
Thank you. I hope you try it. It is absolutely fabulous.
Looks SUPER yummy! Going to make some and bring it to my parents’ house for Father’s Day. ❤
I hope your family enjoys it! I LOVE this salad.