I’m not going to spend a lot of time here writing about how insanely delicious these carrot cupcake minis are and how anyone who tries them will have absolutely no idea that they are grain-free. Yeah, they are that good.
I know I posted a carrot cupcake just a few weeks ago, but when I saw this recipe, I had to try it. I originally saw this post on The Urban Poser blog. It was very easy to put together. And if you are trying to convince people that grain-free can be delicious, you should use this recipe to change their minds.
Carrot Cupcake Minis Recipe
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs (room temp.)
5 TBLS Palm shortening, coconut oil, or butter (liquefied)*
2 tsp grated ginger(or pre-grated tubed ginger)
4 TBLS honey or maple syrup
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 cup (lightly packed) very finely grated carrots
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Mix together the coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a medium sized bowl. Sift or use a fork to break up all lumps in the coconut flour.
2. In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the ghee/coconut oil, room temp eggs(very important or the coconut oil will harden), honey/sugar, ginger and vanilla extract. Whisk till well blended.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix well so that there are no lumps in the batter.
4. Fold in the carrots, and unsweetened coconut flakes.
5. Spoon a tablespoon of batter in to each mini muffin cup.
6. Bake at 330 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Top with your favorite icing or cream cheese frosting. I think they are great plain. (-:
Tips from the Little Red Bird:
* Bring eggs to room temperature by placing eggs in warm water for about 5 minutes.
* Let the batter sit for about 3-5 minutes after combining. Coconut flour needs this time. This is to ensure that the batter does not become too dry. I usually line my cupcake tray or do dishes while I wait.
* I use the baking time as a timer to clean up my mess. That way, when they’re done, so am I. (-:
* Use fresh grated ginger. It really does make all the difference.
* I made a cream cheese frosting for this cupcake and added the zest of a lemon. Di. Vine. Just my two cents.