Yesterday I happened to see this post by Elana’s pantry called “Primal Chocolate Chip Cookies“. We love chocolate chip cookies and I like to have different variations of this classic cookie. I do have an Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookie in my repertoire, however, when I saw this recipe I got excited because it was egg-free. I have a few friends (and their babies) who are very allergic to eggs. So I thought I would make these to see if this recipe worked. It did. This chocolate chip cookie was moist, buttery, with a nice crunch and chew, and just the right amount of chocolate and sweetness. The perfect almond flour chocolate chip cookie, in my book.
They were also taste tested approved by Capt. Picky pants (abc), my husband, my sister, and my favorite food truck peeps. (Wink and a nod to South Pacific Grill food truck). Everyone gave the thumbs up.
Some modifications that were made to the recipe and special notes:
1. I swapped the honey for PURE maple syrup (2 Tbsp) due to the maple syrup being lower in carbohydrates. For it to remain GAPS legal, raw honey must be used.
2. I used 2 Tbsp of mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand), 30 g. The original recipe called for chunks, which can also be used, but is like to see chocolate specs throughout my cookie.
3. I baked my cookies at 330 degrees, on a light colored cookie sheet pan. Yes, the color of your pan makes a difference, as heat is distributed and absorbed differently when it comes to light and dark.
4. I used I sieve to pass my almond flour through. This is your money back guarantee to keep lumps, chunks and graininess out of your cookie. Worth the extra few minutes, in my opinion.
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies (egg-free)
Yields 1 dozen, a generous Tbsp size
2 cups blanched almond flour
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup palm shortening
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Brand)
1. Combine almond flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
2. Add in shortening, honey and vanilla and mix well until dough forms.
3. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Scoop dough one tablespoon at a time onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Press balls of dough down gently
6. Bake at 330° for 8-12minutes, or until edges begin to become golden brown.
7. Cool for 15 minutes (do not handle prior or cookies will break)
Note: If your dough is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons more honey
Cookie Stats: 1 cookie
Fat: 14 g.
Carbs: 8 g.
Fiber: 2 g.
NET CARBS: 6 g.
Protein: 4 g.
Weight Watchers Point Plus Value: 5
If you make these cookies and love them or made any changes, please leave a comment below and share!